Whenever we are eating, our dogs are always nearby hoping for a chance at some delicious table scraps. Can we blame them? If I were in their shoes I wouldn't want to eat the same thing every day! Giving your dog a treat is a great way to show how much you love them but there are many ingredients that dogs can't eat that we should be mindful of. In general, try to keep the sugar in your dog's diet to a minimum. Let's get started with what ingredients are bad for dogs:
Can Dogs Eat Nuts? No!
Most nuts are a bad idea for dogs. Overall they are very hard to digest and in some cases are toxic. If your dog consumes a lot of nuts then they will likely get an upset stomach. Larger sized nuts could cause an obstruction in their digestive system. Macadamia nuts and pistachios can cause pancreatitis.
Can Dogs Eat Onions? No! Garlic? No! Shallots? No! Chives? No!
Onions, Garlic, Leeks, Shallots, and Chives are all a part of the Allium family of plants. They are all equally dangerous! Onions are dangerous because we use them in so many of our meals. Onions are pure poison for your dog. They contain a chemical called Thiosulphate, which can destroy your dog's red blood cells. Red blood cells are necessary to transport oxygen throughout your body.
A tiny amount of onions likely won't cause any trouble, but if your dog has consumed a large portion then call the vet immediately! There are no obvious symptoms that arise from onions and the subtle ones take a few days to show up. Look for loss of appetite or laziness. If they ate a large amount, then more severe symptoms such as yellowing of the eyes or gums could occur. Watch for heavy breathing, vomiting, and diarrhea as well. If you see any of these symptoms, take your dog to the vet. They won't be able to get better on their own.
Can Dogs Eat Grapes? No! Raisins? No!
Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. They are toxic to all dogs and toxic in small amounts. If your dog consumes grapes or raisins, call your vet right away! Symptoms will be strong and will occur quickly. Within a few hours, then dog will start to vomit or have diarrhea. Other symptoms include stomach pain, appetite loss, and dehydration. The toxin directly targets the kidney and can cause either very little or a complete stop in urination. The final stage is kidney failure and death.
If you suspect your dog has consumed grapes or raisins then you can try to induce vomiting. Make the dog drink hydrogen peroxide in the amount of 1 teaspoon for every 5 pounds of body weight, up to a maximum of 3 teaspoons. You can use a turkey baster to force them to drink. If this does not cause your dog to vomit, then you can try this in 10 minute intervals up to 3 times. If this doesn't work, then take your dog to the vet as soon as possible. If this does work, then you still need to take your dog to see the vet. If your dog is in distress, unconscious, or is having trouble breathing, then do not try to make them vomit. Go straight to the vet. For more information, visit Pet MD.
Can Dogs Eat Chocolate? No!
Chocolate is the most common case of dog-poisoning. It is indeed very toxic for your dog and can cause death. The toxic ingredient is cocoa. This means that the darker the chocolate the more fatal it can be. Milk Chocolate is still very dangerous. Symptoms can take between 6 and 12 hours to develop. Because chocolate is a stimulant for dogs, the symptons tend to involved having too much energy, or pacing around quickly. They may also become extremely thirsty or start panting. Seizures are also possible.
If you suspect your dog has consumed chocolate then you can try to induce vomiting. Make the dog drink hydrogen peroxide in the amount of 1 teaspoon for every 5 pounds of body weight, up to a maximum of 3 teaspoons. You can use a turkey baster to force them to drink. If this does not cause your dog to vomit, then you can try this in 10 minute intervals up to 3 times. If this doesn't work, then take your dog to the vet as soon as possible. If this does work, then you still need to take your dog to see the vet.
Can Dogs Drink Alcohol? No!
Alcoholic drinks are toxic to dogs on many levels. Dogs are allergic to grapes found in wine and yeast and hops found in beer. Their kidneys can't handle the alcohol either. When you couple all of this with the fact that most dogs are very light, it is no wonder they get so sick from it. If you're going to have a party with your dog around, make sure you clean up any spills on the floor. Don't leave any glasses on the ground either. Dogs just can't help themselves and will start licking it all up. If your dog has consumed alcohol, then symptoms can show up within an hour. Milder symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea. More serious symptoms from a lot of alcohol include kidney failure and heart failure.
Can Dogs Eat Avocado? No!
Dogs have no issue eating avocado. The nut is the perfect size to cause an obstruction though. If you would like give your puppy some avocado, then make sure to remove the nut beforehand. Avocado has more potassium than bananas and is considered a "good fat". Avocado is high in calories though and should be eaten sparingly.
If you avoid nuts, onions, grapes, chocolate, alcohol, and avocado, then your dog will be very safe! Now we know what ingredients are bad for dogs, but what ingredients are good for dogs? Read below!
Can Dogs Eat Bananas? Yes!
Dogs can definitely eat bananas as a treat! Make sure to give bite sized pieces and don't give them the banana peel. Bananas are full of nutrients such as potassium, vitamin C, copper, biotin, manganese, and vitamin B6. Bananas are also full of sugar so you shouldn't feed bananas to your dog on a regular basis. Too many bananas can lead to constipation. Click here for a tasty dog treat recipe! Try freezing the banana so it is more fun to chew!
Can Dogs Eat Carrots? Yes!
I can tell you first hand that my dog loves to eat carrots! They are similar in shape to a dog bone and have a great crunch to them. Carrots contain plenty of beta-carotene, which is excellent for their hair. Long-haired dog such as the Yorkshire Terrier, Havanese, Shih Tzu, and Maltese etc. will benefit from this tasty treat. Just remember to keep everything in moderation. Carrots have some sugar content as well.
Can Dogs Eat Oranges? Yes!
Oranges can be safely eaten by dogs, however they have a very high amount of sugar content. Don't give them the orange peels because they are hard to digest. If you have a smaller sized dog, try giving them a quarter of the orange. If you have a large sized dog then you can give them the entire orange. The benefit of eating oranges is lots vitamin C.
Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms? Yes!
Wild mushrooms are definitely off limits. There are many mushrooms that grow in the wild that are very toxic. It isn't worth the risk. Mushrooms from the grocery store may be okay. It is best to give a small amount and see if their stomach agrees with it. Mushrooms are low calorie, high in vitamin D, and antioxidants, which can help your pup's immune system.
Can Dogs Eat Strawberries? Yes!
You sure can! Wash the strawberries to get rid of any pesticides. Cut up the strawberries into smaller pieces so that they aren't a choking hazard. This also allows you to control the portion size. With all fruits, it is important to monitor how much sugar your fur ball is consuming.
Can Dogs Eat Tomatoes? Yes!
The tomato itself, without the green leaves at the top, can be safely consumed. The tomato needs to be nice and red to be safe. Tomatoes are full of carotene, vitamin C, and antioxidants. An unripe green tomato, the green leaves on the tomato, and the entire plant itself contain Tomatine and Solanine, which are very poisonous for dogs.
I hope this article has given you a detailed overview of what ingredients are bad for dogs. Just me mindful of the deadly ingredients dogs cannot eat and don't get too paranoid about the rest. If they only have a taste then it is unlikely anything will happen. Now go give your pup a tasty treat!